Wednesday, January 23, 2008

So Far So Good

I made it through my first two days of work at the vet. It never got crazy-busy, but it did get busy, yesterday more than today. Today was only a half day; I was there from 7:45 to 1:00. Yesterday was a full day, fuller than I'd anticipated. I was there from 7:45 a.m. to 6:45 p.m. (with an hour off for lunch)!! The clinic closes at 6:00, but then there's all the "closing" stuff to do -- cleaning, balancing the books, etc. The books were out of balance (not my fault), so it took awhile to figure it out. They tell me that most days we won't be there that late. Tomorrow is another full day, so we'll see.

There are two other women who are just starting to work there (I worked with one yesterday and one today), so the experienced people are training us at the same time. It helps to not be the only newbie.

The clients are mostly patient with us; everyone has been new at their job at some point in their life.

I've seen some very cute dogs and cats, but none as cute as ours. Of course there was the cutest little black cat, only five months old . . . . It was from the shelter, there for a spaying, and I had a feeling of really missing black cats, but with four dogs and two cats, we have a full house, NO MORE ANIMALS!!! This way, working at the vet, I can ooh and aah over the black cats and other animals without having the responsibility of owning them (or being owned by them, depending on your point of view).

So I'll keep working there while looking for freelance work or a better paying full time job.

2 comments:

Elle said...

I can just see you with that black cat, but, yeah, you have a full house. Hope that the full days get a little shorter. Sounds like a good job while you search for the freelance jobs. Who can hate being with animals all day and not have to be responsible for them once they leave. Sort of like being a grandparent or something :)
Congrats!

Beth said...

Thursday was much better. We were more organized about the closing stuff and were out of there at 6:15.